About Our Staff
The office staff is comprised of residential appraisers, commercial / industrial appraisers, personal property appraisers and management personnel. All members of the Appraisal staff are certified by the Michigan State Tax Commission. We are currently utilizing the BS&A Software "Equalizer Assessing System". We feel that this provides for more accuracy and offers greater availability of information for taxpayers, appraisers, realtors etc. Also, we are using a new drawing tool called Apex, which allows us to draw sketches of land and homes on the computer. We have also incorporated digital pictures into the computer system.
Things We Do:
- Appraise real and personal property for the purpose of property taxation.
- Ensure that all land is identified with both a legal description and maps
- Describe the physical improvements to the land such as commercial and residential buildings. These descriptions identify characteristics such as size, age, shape, etc. for each improvement.
- Maintain taxpayer of record information via various documents such as deeds, transfer affidavits, homestead forms and taxpayer requests.
- Maintain detailed sales records on vacant and improved properties in the Township. Sales data is typically obtained through recorded deeds received from the County Clerk's office, or Property Transfer Affidavits.
If you have any questions and would like to speak to any of our staff please call between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Charter Township of Shelby
Municipal Offices - Lower Level
52700 Van Dyke
Shelby Township, MI 48316
Phone: (586) 731-5910
Fax: (586) 254-3773