email icon Email updates  mzl jbprrjhp x Nixle alerts

Home » Clerk » Election Information

Election Information

To view your ballot for the upcoming election, please visit the Michigan Voter Information Center below.

Michigan Voter Information Center   

General Election Information

The Clerk is responsible for conducting all federal, state, and local elections.   Some of the most frequently asked questions are here for your review.  As always, if you have additional questions, don't hesitate to call our office at 586-731-5102.

Where do we register to vote?
You may register to vote at the Clerk's Office or any Secretary of State Office, or by mail.  It is important to note that if you change your address on your driver's license you will be canceling your voter registration unless you change that also. The reverse is also true - if you change your voter registration you will receive a sticker in the mail to change your license.  Your voter registration MUST match your residence.  And, if you register to vote by mail you may not be eligible to vote by an absent voter ballot the first time you vote. Please contact the Clerk's Office for more information at 586-731-5102.

Where do we vote?
The Township has 30 polling precincts.  Once you register to vote, you will receive a voter I.D. card stating the exact location for you.  If you are currently registered and cannot locate your voter I.D. card, call us for assistance at 586-731-5102.

Check this out:  (If the link fails, just copy and paste this address into your browser.)  There you will see if you are registered to vote, what precinct you are in, and where to vote!

You need to register to vote at least 30 days prior to any election to be eligible to vote.  Please call the Clerk's Office for specific deadlines.   

The polls will be open on all Election Days from 7 AM until 8 PM.  In addition, the Clerk's Office will be open on the Saturday prior to each election for the purpose of distributing absentee ballots.  That is the last day we can mail a ballot to you.  Please call the Clerk's Office for specific hours on those days. 

At the polls, you will need to show your driver's license or state or university-issued photo identification, but not to worry!  If you don't have your identification with you there is an affidavit you can sign so that you may still vote. 

Shelby Township offers Voter Assistance Terminal (VAT) voting to persons with special needs for voting.


Absent Voter Information

If you are going to be out of town or unable to attend the polls, you can vote by absentee ballot.  Submit an application for an absentee ballot by filling out this form and mailing it to

Stanley Grot, Township Clerk
52700 Van Dyke Ave.
Shelby Township, MI 48316

You may also wish to drop your form off in our convenient drop box located on the Municipal Grounds driveway at the exit to 24 Mile Road.

Keep in mind that the last day the Clerk's Office is able to mail AV ballots for ANY election is the Saturday just prior to the election at 2:00 p.m.  After that date, you will be able to obtain an AV Ballot for yourself only on the following Monday IN PERSON until 4:00 p.m., and you MUST vote the ballot at the office. 

It is required by law that a voter signs an AV Ballot application for every election cycle
 This process raises a lot of questions for the voters, but it also allows us to make certain a voter hasn't moved to another community before we send a ballot.

If you are on the permanent absentee list, you should have received an application in the mail approximately 4-6 weeks before a scheduled election.  If you didn't, please call us at 586-731-5102 and we will send you one and verify that you are on our permanent list. You can be on the list to always receive an application regardless of your age.  All you need to do is request to be on the list.  Remember that if you move to another community, or if you move into Shelby from another community, your permanent AV status does not move with you, meaning you must contact your new Clerk's Office to request to be placed on its permanent AV list.  

On Mondays before each election, you may vote a ballot here in our offices from 8:30 am until 4 p.m.  After 4 p.m., you cannot vote an absentee ballot unless there is an emergency, such as sudden hospitalization.

Who can vote Absentee? 
Anyone may vote by absentee by submitting an application with your full name, address, and the reason you need to vote an absentee ballot, which may include the following reasons:

  I am 60 years of age or older. 
  I expect to be absent from the community in which I am registered for the entire time the polls are open on election day. 
     I am physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another. 
     I cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of my religion. 
     I have been appointed an election precinct inspector in a precinct other than the precinct where I reside. 
     I cannot attend the polls because I am confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial.

You must sign and date the application for us to provide you with a ballot. Applications are accepted at the Clerk's office.  You may bring your form in person, drop it at our convenient drop box located at the exit to 24 Mile Road on the Municipal grounds, or mail it to the Clerk's Office.

A written request, including all the above information, which is signed and dated, will also be accepted by mail or fax to (586) 726-7227, in lieu of an application. An absentee ballot will be mailed to you upon receipt of your request.

Want to Help?
Election Worker Application

Stanley Grot                   Craig Cowper
Township Clerk                Deputy Township Clerk